- His 11.1 UZR was best in the majors.
- He was 7 runs better than average according to the +/- system which placed him third behind Aaron Hill and Dustin Pedroia.
- The Fielding Bible panel of experts ranked him 4th behind Hill, Pedroia and Ian Kinsler.
- Only Mark Ellis and Pedroia ranked higher in the fan balloting.
On the other hand, the voters always make at least one choice which makes no sense at all. This year it was Adam Jones. All the indications are he doesn't deserve it:
- According to UZR, Jones cost his team 4.7 runs compared to the average center fielder. That was 13th in MLB.
- He was +7 on the +/- system but that was only good for seventh in the league and 24 runs behind deserving winner Franklyn Gutierrez (+31).
- The Fielding Bible ranked him 21st in MLB.
- Even his own fans placed him in the middle of the pack among center fielders.