Then the Tigers began to chip away. Miguel Cabrera hit a solo shot in the fifth to make it 5-1. Miguel then added a two run single in the sixth to close the gap to two at 5-3. Meanwhile, rookie Alfredo Figaro kept it close by holding the Twins scoreless for 2 2/3 innings. That's a performance which should not be lost in the wildness that followed.
Then came the sixth inning featuring the most beautiful sequence of at bats all year. With Carlos Guillen on first after a single and one out, the fun started:
- Gerald Laird hit a ground ball single to left.
- Adam Everett hit a ground ball single to left. Runs Scores. Tigers down 5-4.
- With RHP Freddie Garcia still inexplicably on the mound, slumping Curtis Granderson hit a sharp single to center. Run scores. Game tied 5-5.
- Placido Polanco drilled a single to right. Run scores. Tigers up 6-5.
- Magglio Ordonez dropped a single into right. Run scores. Tigers lead 7-5.
- The Tigers got 20 hits, their highest total of the year. An amazing 19 of them came after the fourth inning.
- Cabrera had 4 hits and 4 RBI giving him 100 for the sixth straight season.
- Granderson had three hits in the last three innings and all of them were well hit. It was a refreshing sight to see from the struggling leadoff man.
- Polanco and Laird added three hits apiece and Ordonez had two.