There is now a magazine/book that covers only the Tigers written by people who obsess about the Tigers as you do all year round. The Maple Street Press Detroit Tigers Annual 2011 was edited by Kurt Mensching of Bless You Boys and will appear on bookshelves throughout Michigan on March 1. If you pre-order now online, you should receive it by late February.
Kurt wrote about 25 percent of the book and he did an outstanding job putting the whole thing together. I did my small part writing articles on Rudy York and Austin Jackson. There were many other familiar contributors as well. Kurt listed them on his site and I'll repeat them here:
- John Parent and Matt Snyder of Motor City Bengals
- Mike Rogers, Matt Wallace, David Tokarz and especially the editing help of Allison Hagen, all of Bless You Boys.
- Lee Panas of Tiger Tales and Beyond Batting Average, one of Baseball America's top 10 books of 2010.
- Bill Ferris of TigsTown, formerly of Detroit Tigers Weblog
- Mike McClary of The Daily Fungo
- Ian Casselberry of SB Nation Detroit and Yahoo! Sports' Big League Stew.
- Q&As with Phil Coke and Max St. Pierre, with interviews by Baseball Prospectus' David Laurila.
- Interviews with Jacob Turner, Scot Drucker, Robbie Weinhardt, Casper Wells and MLB.com's Jason Beck that helped contribute to stories.
- Tom Gage of the Detroit News, with interviews with several people who knew Ernie Harwell
- Will Rhymes of your very own Detroit Tigers, with a piece on Will Rhymes of your very own Detroit Tigers